Its that time of the month again, where I show you wonderful people out there what I have been up to in regards to my painting challenge. Ok, well this entry in the series is a little bit late as August was a few days ago. But its my blog and I make the rules, so its all good. On the plus side, this extra time has allowed me to get a decent amount of my miniatures finished compared to recent months. This was because I actually had a chance to sit down and do some painting this month, which was a pleasant surprise.
As you will know if you have been following this series, I have already hit my target for yearly models painted, so now it’s a case of seeing how far I can take it before we reach the end of the year. Last month I stated I was going to be cracking on with my Marines and Necrons from my Indomitus box, trying to get a head start on these two armies before their codex’s drop in a couple of months. That was the plan… but!
Yeah, I got distracted. To be fair, this wasn’t a whole new army I was starting, but was rather an extension of my Chaos force. But yeah, it wasn’t what I intended to paint. I just decided to try out a test scheme for a Death Guard detachment I was going to run alongside my Nurgle Daemons. Then when I finished one model, I was so happy with the results that I did the rest of the squad. Then another. And some HQs. And some Vehicles…
Ok, so I got carried away. But since I now have 750 points of Death Guard finished to tabletop standard, I think it was the best kind of carried away.
For this Death Guard warband (which I’m christening The Rust Lords) I wanted a scheme that would complement my Nurgle Daemons I finished off a few months ago, and so I decided early on I wouldn’t paint them in traditional greens/creams of the Sixtieth Legion. Instead, I wanted to paint their flesh in the same necrotic grey state I painted my Plaguebearers, with armour and weapons that matched that rotten theme.
So, I decided to paint them with armour that had been exposed to the elements, with all the paint and livery blasted away and only the raw/rusted plates on display. To achieve this, I began by base coating the entire model in Leadblecher, then washing it with Agrax Earthshade. I then drybrushed the armour with Necron Compound, before stippling the plates with Typhus Corrosion. Then I fished off the effect by drybrushing the miniature with Ryza Rust and then Stormhost Silver, with some light washing with more Agrax Earthshade to dull down some of the light areas.
The eyes, plasma and ethereal fly was accomplished with the new Tesseract Glow, washed with Nuln Oil and highlighted with a 1:1 mix of Tesseract Glow and Corax White. Paired up with the grey flesh tone, it gives the models a real grim dark vibe which makes them look like a something out of John Blanches deepest darkest dreams.
Overall, I am exceptionally happy with the results, and I’m looking forward to finishing off the rest of these servants of the plague god and getting them onto the battlefield alongside the rest of my chaos forces. Next up is a drone and some more characters to take them up to around 1,000 points. And maybe then I will finally be able to start my Indomitus models. Only time will tell.
And that will do it for today. I’ll be back at the end of September, hopefully with those Space Marines and Necrons I promised you all. So, if you don’t want to miss out on that or any of the other great content we do please like and subscribe to keep up to date with all we do here at Master of Magics.
If you want to join me on this journey, show me what you have been working on over on via twitter @MTGTengu, or contact me in the comments below. If you have enjoyed todays article, you want to support the site directly, you can join our Patreon for as little as a $1 a month. Until next time though remember, “Let the Galaxy Burn!”.